Self Leadership + Spiritual Formation
Godly leaders first lead themselves well before leading others. This course aims to educate and equip individuals to embrace spiritual disciplines, to deepen intimacy with and contemplation of Christ, evaluate and grow in the area of emotional health, integrity and character, and weigh / make godly choices to better balance their busy and conflicted lives.
To view, click one of the buttons above to quick jump to a specific week or continue scrolling.
Week One: Spiritual and Self leadership
Complete by 9/19
SUBMIT RESPONSES by 9/17
- Learn a biblical view of spiritual leadership and identity in Christ
- Understand what a healthy leader looks like, how to maintain spiritual health, and how your past/family influences your leadership
- Learn the importance of leading and feeding self
- Book: Chapters 1 - 10 from Oswald Sanders' Spiritual Leadership and come prepared to discuss at our next meeting
- Article: Spiritual Formation - What Is It? Dallas Willard
- Article: Spiritual Maturity by Mark Ross
- Article: Above Reproach by John MacArthur
- Portions of Bay Area's Lead Like Jesus philosophy
- Steve Ferguson on Self Leadership
- You'll need a RightNow Media account to view this. If you do not have one, please email Jocelyn with what email you prefer to use, and she'll get you set up with an account.
- Submit a Personal assessment (500 words) - DUE SUNDAY 9/17
- After reviewing the chapters from Sanders' book, identify areas that you are strong in, areas of growth
- Submit your assessment by clicking the link above and uploading your assignment.
- Submit a Response paper (500 words) - DUE SUNDAY 9/17
- The purpose of the paper is to identify and summarize the ways that you have grown spiritually. Outline your personal spiritual growth, starting with coming to faith - capture the key moments, events, and things you did to grow spiritually. In what ways have you been 'spiritually formed'?
- Submit your paper by clicking the link above and uploading your assignment.
WEEK two: spiritual gifts
complete by 9/26
Submit responses by 9/24
- Learn the Biblical and theological understanding of Spiritual Gifts
- Learn your personal Gifts via Spiritual Gifts Assessment
- Learn how to lead using your gifts and delegate to others
- Inductive Bible Study: 1 Corinthians 12-13, Romans 12, 1 Peter 4, Ephesians 4
- Read and identify the gifts listed in these passages.
- Answer the following questions:
- What role does the Holy Spirit play in the area of spiritual gifts?
- What is Paul / Peter's main points in each passage?
- What practical steps can we learn from these passages about spiritual gifts?
- Read Understanding Spiritual Gifts article by Mark Driscoll
- Watch or listen to Sam Stone's Spiritual Gifts video/podcast
- Watch Bill Hybels' sermon "Fan Into Flame"
- Prior to class, take the LifeWay Spiritual Gifts Assessment and come prepared to discuss and share your results
- Submit a response paper on the spiritual gifts - DUE Sunday, 9/24
- Complete and submit a one page paper (appx. 800 words) summarizing what the passages (1 Corinthians 12-13, Romans 12, 1 Peter 4, Ephesians 4) teach us about spiritual gifts. What practical steps can you learn from these passages about the use of gifts? Imagine someone who volunteers with you who has never heard of spiritual gifts before. How would you answer this question, "What are spiritual gifts?"
WEEK three: Spiritual disciplines
NO MEETING THIS WEEK
complete + submit by 10/3
- Learn about the importance of maintaining spiritual health through self feeding and self care via the spiritual disciplines
- Identify areas of strength and weaknesses in spiritual disciplines
- Develop a plan to grow in personal practices
- Learn to foster growth in others
- Read Spiritual Formation and Spiritual Disciplines by Dallas Willard
- Read Self Discipline article by Steven Lawson
- Read Growing in Maturity article by Tom Ascol
- Listen to "Spiritual Disciplines and Leadership" podcast episode
- Listen to "What are Spiritual Disciplines" by Dr. Donald Whitney
- Take the spiritual disciplines self assessment to discover your strengths and weaknesses. Come prepared to discuss in class.
- Submit a 2 page paper (appx. 1000 words) - DUE TUESDAY 10/3
- Complete and submit a two page paper sharing your experiences and practices with spiritual disciplines, identifying strengths and weaknesses. Propose a practical plan for how you will grow in one of your areas of weakness.
WEEK four: personality styles
complete by 10/10
SUBMIT RESPONSES by 10/8
- Learn the details about your personality style
- Understand how personality affects leadership
- Understand strengths, weaknesses, limitations and opportunities within their personality style
- Understand that "knowing thyself" is essential to effective leadership
- Read chapters 3-6 in The Gift of Knowing Yourself by David G. Benner
- Read abstract on personality and leadership
- Read the first 8 pages of Personality, Power and Leadership Style
- Read What Makes You a Leader by Daniel Goleman
- Read Could Your Personality Derail Your Career article from Harvard Business Review
- Take the 5 Factor Personality Assessment
- Take the free online Myers Briggs Test at 16Personalities - come prepared to discuss your personality style and what you learned about yourself through the assessment
- Submit a one page paper (appx. 500 words) - DUE Sunday 10/8
- Summarize what you learned about yourself. Reflect on the 5 Factor Personality Assessment and the articles about how personality might affect leadership. What areas of your personality do you consider strengths? What areas did you discover that are areas of growth? How might you strengthen the weaker areas in order to lead better? Think through your current areas of leadership or influence. How might your new awareness of your personality affect these roles?